The Tree Ring
The tree ring - or more accurately, the tree spiral - of Western Red Cedars at the top of the slope was planted about 1900. Locals call it the deer ring because it was supposedly used to herd deer together on the estate. However, it seems unlikely that deer would have been allowed anywhere near a newly planted arboretum, and when the trees were small they would not have contained them successfully. It’s more likely to be a Victorian folly. Recent restoration work has involved cleaning up the ring by removing the huge lower branches which were obscuring it. This has given the ring an atmospheric ‘cathedral-like’ feel - and has resulted in one of the largest woodpiles in the conservation area!